// yukihiro1412 // On-Thursday, November 17, 2011

I've always liked Dr. Pepper, but ever since I watched Steins;Gate starting this past April I've been drinking it a lot more.  If you haven't seen Steins;Gate, go watch it.  I won't comment too much about it since I might do some posts on anime, but it's pretty solid.


Anyways, after doing some browsing online, I came across Dublin Dr. Pepper.  I kept wondering why Mexican Coke tastes so different from American Coke, and I found out that it's because it's made with cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).  There's a pretty big debate about the health risks that HFCS poses, but I believe the US uses a lot of it because the government heavily subsidizes corn.  I'm in no position to say if it's good or bad, but I will say that HFCS changes the taste of soda.

I kept reading reviews on Dublin Dr. Pepper and how great it was compared to HFCS Dr. Pepper.  So curiosity got the better of me and I decided to drop the cash on 2-6 pack cans of it.  At about $2.50 a can after taxes and shipping, it's definitely not something I would order on a regular basis.

The reason why it's so hard to come by is that the Dublin Dr. Pepper plant is the only plant in the world that still manufacturers Dr. Pepper using the original formula with Imperial cane sugar.  Dr. Pepper Snapple has some sort of agreement with the Dublin Dr. Pepper plant that only allows them to sell within their city limits.  Of course some of it gets out, and guess what? Earlier this year Dr. Pepper Snapple filed a lawsuit against the Dublin Dr. Pepper plant for allowing the distribution of the Dublin Dr. Pepper outside of their city limits.  What is wrong with you Dr. Pepper Snapple?  Respect your roots.

Going on, I received the Dublin Dr. Pepper in less than a week. I was really excited to try it, but it had to go in the fridge first.  Soda always tastes better cold in my opinion.  I chilled one can and had my first sip... It tasted pretty much the same as HFCS Dr. Pepper.  I was no Dr. Pepper slouch at the time either.  I had been drinking Dr. Pepper almost exclusively for the past 6-7 months.  As I sipped some more, the difference started revealing itself, but I still thought it was pretty close to the HFCS version.

6-pack of Dublin Dr. Pepper

Okay, fast forward a week and a half dozen cans later.  I can definitely tell the difference between Dublin Dr. Pepper and HFCS Dr. Pepper.  It's very slight, but the Dublin Dr. Pepper has a smoother, crisper taste to it.  It tastes a bit lighter and (to me) I can taste more of those 23 flavors that the Dr. Pepper formula boasts.  The HFCS in the HFCS version sort of overpowers some of those flavors, but the cane sugar lets those other flavors present themselves a bit more.  

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that there is a gigantic difference between the two, but I can tell you that hardcore Dr. Pepper fans should be able to appreciate the taste of the original formula.  I wish I could drink Dublin Dr. Pepper exclusively, but I can't justify the cost of it on a regular basis.  I really really enjoy it, but I'll have to make do with HFCS Dr. Pepper.  I'll drink the Dublin Dr. Pepper on special occasions or when I really miss it.  With that said, I would recommend Dublin Dr. Pepper to Dr. Pepper fans, but the cost is definitely a turn off.  Try it at least once, but it may take a few cans/bottles before you can really appreciate it. 

Front shot of the Dublin Dr. Pepper can.
Made with Imperial Sugar stamp on the bottom.

Back side of the Dublin Dr. Pepper can.
A little background information on Bill Kloster, former plant owner.

The pictures in this post were taken with my Droid 2 Global.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Culture japan